Predicting 10 (Or 11) Warrior Wins
It’s time to celebrate the best time of the year the start of college football season! And once again, that means its time for me to pull out my trusty prognosticator’s hat and see what’s in store for the University of Hawaii Warriors this year.
Once again, I’m up against Warrior Superfan Wayne Coito, who continues to try to break his three-year streak as runnerup in this friendly competition.
(Good luck, Wayne you’ll need it!)
In the last four years, I’ve nearly pegged the Warriors’ final record correctly picking 12-0 in 2007, missing by just one game in 2008 and 2009 when they went 7-6 and 6-7, and then underestimating the team last year when I picked an 8-5 record and they won 10 games.
Here are our predictions for this 2011 season (made before this past Saturday’s opener):
* Sept. 3, home vs. Colorado. Both Wayne and I see a victory over the Golden Buffaloes, who have recently moved up to the Pac-12, but who haven’t won on the road since 2007. I say Hawaii wins in a close call, 2421. Wayne says UH, 35-31. * Sept. 10, at Washington in Seattle. Huskies are much improved the past couple of years, and both Wayne and I think this will be a tough trip for the Warriors. I say Washington wins, 34-21. Wayne picks UDub, 41-24.
* Sept. 17, at UNLV. Hawaii loves Vegas, and both of us are picking a win here. I say Hawaii wins a wild shoot-out, 38-31.
Wayne has the Warriors winning handily, 45-20.
* Sept. 24, home vs. UC Davis. Should be a big win for the Warriors. I say UH wins, 56-17. Wayne has Hawaii winning, 49-14.
* Oct. 1, at LaTech. Scary game after the long flight to Louisiana. I’ve got Hawaii winning a close one, 31-28. Wayne has it even closer, UH 38-37.
* Oct. 14, at San Jose State, a Friday-nighter. Back-to-back road games are always tough, but this appears winnable, especially coming off a bye week. I say UH, 35-21. Wayne says Hawaii big, 45-17.
* Oct. 22, home vs. New Mexico State. The homecoming game should be a Warrior blowout. I’ve got Hawaii winning, 52-17. Wayne says UH, 56-10.
* Oct. 29 at Idaho. Warriors keep up their winning ways in last WAC season. I say Hawaii wins, 34-21. Wayne picks UH in a rout, 42-14. Good-bye, Kibbie Dome.
* Nov. 5, home vs. Utah State. Another huge home win for the Warriors. I’m picking Hawaii, 49-10. Wayne says UH, 51-9.
* Nov. 12, at Nevada. Biggest game of the year in conference. Reno is just a tough place to play, and both of us see a close Wolfpack win. I’m picking Nevada, 28-27. Wayne says Wolfpack, 33-31.
* Nov. 19, home vs. Fresno State. Bounce back game for the Warriors, but it will be tough. I’ve got UH winning a thriller, 35-34. Wayne says Hawaii, 42-35.
* Nov. 26, home vs. Tulane.
Both of us are predicting an impressive Hawaii swamping of the Green Wave. I say Hawaii, 49-28. Wayne says UH, 51-21.
* Dec. 3, home vs. BYU. Looks like it comes down to this pick. As much as it breaks my heart, I’m predicting the Cougars in a wild one, 42-35. Wayne is more optimistic and picks Hawaii, 45-41. (I hope he’s right he needs to win this competition for once.)
So the bottom line is I’m picking the Warriors to win 10 games this season.
Wayne thinks they’ll win 11. In either case, it should be a banner season and another trip back to the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl Christmas Eve.