To Thai For Traditional Favorites
This week we welcome to the show Waranuch “Ann” Murphey of To Thai For restaurant in Kaimuki, who prepares the following Thai favorites.
Larb is a type of Laotian and Isan (Thailand) meat salad regarded as the national dish of Laos. It can be made with chicken, beef, duck, turkey, pork or even fish. The dish is typically served at room temperature.
This show aired originally in March 2010.
LARB CHICKEN SALAD
* 1 pound ground chicken
* 2 shallots, chopped
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion and parsley
* 10-15 mint leaves, chopped
* 3 tablespoons roasted rice powder
* 1 teaspoon ground Thai chili
* 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce, to taste
* 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
Cook ground chicken in a saucepan with a little bit of water; stir the chicken to separate it while it cooks. Add fish sauce, lime juice, ground Thai chili and roasted rice powder and mix; add mint, parsley, green onion and shallot.
Larb is supposed to have a sour, salty and spicy flavor.
Serve with lettuce shells, mint or basil, cucumber and sticky rice.
RED CURRY WITH SEAFOOD
* 1 pound of your favorite seafood
* 3 tablespoons red curry paste
* 2 cups coconut milk
* 2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
* 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar
* 2 cups sliced bamboo shoots
* 1 cup sliced carrots
* 10 strips bell pepper
* 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
* 15-20 Thai basil or sweet basil leaves
* few fresh chilies
Pour vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add red curry paste, stir it for a minute or until the aroma of curry comes out, then add the coconut milk, water and season with fish sauce and palm sugar. Bring to a boil and add all the seafood. Don’t stir! Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
My mom’s secret is don’t stir seafood until it cooks or it will taste fishy.
Add all vegetables; taste it. If you would like it spicier, add the fresh chili into the curry and turn off the heat, then add the Thai basil.
Serve the curry with your choice of rice.
Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL.