Fixing Fresh Island Soup And Salad
On this week’s show we’re cooking with the home-grown produce of aloun Farms.
This show aired originally in march 2009.
JOY OF CHOY OXTAIL SOUP
* 1 cup aloha shoyu
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons minced ginger
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
* 1 pound oxtails
* 1 gallon beef stock
* 3 slices green papaya
* 1 slice ginger
* 1/2 cup kai choy (mustard cabbage), cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup pak choy (white stem cabbage), cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup bok choy (shanghai cabbage), cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup diced long squash
* 1/2 cup diced carrot
Combine the shoyu, sugar, ginger, garlic and sesame seed oil in a bowl and marinate the oxtail for a couple of hours.
Bring beef stock to a boil; add in the ginger slices and green papaya and reduce to a simmer.
Remove the oxtails from the marinade and simmer in the stock until tender.
Place cabbage stems, carrots and long squash into the pot as well. once the cabbage stems and carrots are tender, place the leaves of the cabbage into the bottom of the serving bowl and top with the oxtails, cabbage stems, long squash, carrots, and then top with some strained stock and serve hot.
Makes four servings.
BOUNTY OF EWA SALAD
* 1 cup ewa sweet corn kernels
* 1 cup chopped ewa Jade Beans
* 1 cup small-diced ewa sweet onion
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* pinch salt
* pinch pepper
* 1 cup medium-diced, cooked okinawan sweet potato
* 1 cup medium-diced, cooked ewa sweet pumpkin
* 1 cup mayonnaise
Heat a medium-size sauté pan on medium and melt butter. When the butter is melted, add the corn, onions and beans, sauté for a minute and then add the curry powder, salt and pepper and sauté for a minute; remove from the heat.
Refrigerate the mixture until cold. once the mixture is cold, place it in a bowl and combine with the cooked potato and cooked pumpkin. add in the mayonnaise and mix well, making sure to not break up the cooked potato or pumpkin.
Serve cold as a new way to enjoy a potato salad.
Makes six servings.
Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL.
(Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL News 8.)