A Special Meal For A Deserving Mom
This week we’re cooking up a feast for a special mother, Lei Woita, and her family as part of a prize package for a mother’s Day online contest for a dinner prepared by me and my staff, along with other prizes. Woita’s daughter, Janine Wu, sent in the winning entry.†
ISLAND SALAD WITH BASIL RANCH DRESSING
* 1 bag island mixed greens
* 2 ears local corn, roasted * 1 cup broccoli florets * 1 cup sweet cherry tomatoes * 1/2 cup sliced maui onions * 12 pieces asparagus, roasted with olive oil and salt * 4 small red or yellow bell peppers * 1 cup black olives * 1 medium cucumber, sliced * 24 cooked shrimp
For Basil Ranch dressing: * 1 cup mayonnaise * 1/2 cup sour cream * 1/2 teaspoon dried chives * 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley * 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed * 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic * 1/8 teaspoon salt * 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper * 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, parsley, dill, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
KABOCHA SQUASH BISQUE
* 1 tablespoon canola oil * 1 tablespoon unsalted butter * 1/2 cup diced onion * 3/4 cup diced carrots * 1 tablespoon minced ginger * 4 cups peeled and cubed kabocha squash * 3 cups vegetable stock * salt and ground black pepper, to taste * 1/2 cup heavy cream * 2 cups garlic croutons (for garnish)
cook and stir the onions in the butter and oil until tender.
Put the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper and ginger. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. heat through but do not boil. serve warm with garlic croutons.
GRILLED KONA MAHIMAHI
* 6-7 ounces mahimahi slices * salt and ground black pepper, to taste * 1/2 cup olive oil * 1 tablespoon shoyu * 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
mix together and let stand in Zip-lock bag for two hours.
Before grilling, brush with miso glaze.
For miso glaze:
* 1 cup white miso
* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup aloha shoyu
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon minced ginger
In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well. Brush on mahimahi.
Place mahimahi on grill and cook.
WHISKEY ICE BOX CAKE
* 2 packages gelatin
* 1/2 cup cold water
* 1/2 cup boiling water
* 6 eggs, separated
* 8 tablespoons whiskey
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1 pint whipping cream
* 3 packages lady fingers
Soak gelatin in cold water. add boiling water and dissolve.
Beat egg yolks until thick. add whiskey very slowly. Beat in the sugar. add lemon juice. stir in gelatin and chill a short time.
Whip cream and fold it in. Beat egg whites and fold in.
Line sides and bottom of a springform pan (about 12 inches) with split lady fingers.
Pour the mixture in slowly. When about halfway, put in layer of lady fingers. When filled, place a layer of lady fingers on top in a design.
Refrigerate overnight. Watch “Sam Choy’s Kitchen” Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KHNL.